I have just over a month to finish level 5 homework. It’s close and I have been working despite the distractions of having to keep 3 kids on track with their school work. Phrases like “what do you mean you just didn’t do math for 2 weeks.” Have been heard coming out of my mouth lately. Anyway, that is not the only distraction…. We also got a puppy! You know, because I might get caught up and have nothing to do anytime soon. Actually, he’s pretty sweet and because of him I get outside more…. He is learning to not eat the spinning wheels, but it’s a slow progress there.
With all of this I have been plugging away on my final project. I am happy to report that all the fiber is spun.
Yesterday, it all got scoured. After much reading (well in my level 4 manual and in Stephanie Gaustad’s book) It looks like a combination of washing soda and dish soap is what you do… 2 T of each. My problem is that I don’t ever feel like I can get all that soap out of the skeins. After rinsing for what felt like forever I had this sudden inspiration… why don’t I toss them in mesh bags and put them through a rinse in the wash machine. It’s not like they will felt. That seems to have done the trick.
I decided to try and dye this fiber before I weave. I have some small samples that I am planing on dyeing to check the colors. If it turns out then I should be warping my loom by the first week in June! Woo Hooo. Which is cutting it very close. I have two other assignments left to spin.
In the meantime, I go out to the Slickrock gathering to teach fiber to yarn this weekend for a week. I am very excited. It’s going to be interesting to be washing fiber outside all week and processing it as well. I ordered some small handcards off of ebay from the UK. They are soo cute! It looks like they are small enough to work as flick cards and just big enough to card up a small rolag. They were a fraction of the price of the wooden handcards, which is nice because I want my students to be able to work with them. So I should have enough for all