After simmer, cool, simmer, cool on the lichen dye bath for a day and a half, I decided it was time to add wool. I used scoured Merino. This is not the best Merino as it has a BUNCH of VM in it, hence using it for dye experiments. I simmer, cool, simmer, cooled the dye with fiber for two days as well. After day one, neither dye bath produced any results… bummer, but Glenna had suggested that this might happen and to continue to simmer, cool…etc. So I allowed them to go on to day two and into a third day. After day two the Antler Lichen (pseudevernia) started to show a little bit of color, so that was the one I kept on for another 6 hours or so. I am not even sure the pictures I took will show the color. But it’s a very light tan, with one kind of orange spot. Not sure what happened there. What is so hard about making these dye baths is that the water has no actual color. Glenna said that the color or lack there of was irrelevant to the end result. I must say this was very unrewarding. I do have some Texas Lichen I need to try so perhaps that will yield better results.
I am pinning my Lichen hopes on the Ammonia Fermentation baths. Here is what they look like this morning. I am still in the shake three times a day stage… It may have been closer to twice a day as I tend to forget.. ahem. However, they look promising. And It takes up WAY less energy than simmering stuff on my stove for DAYS!!!