In my search for a dye process that would be safe to use with and around my children, a friend (thanks Barbara!) suggested I try easter egg dye. That sounded pretty fun and non toxic, so after we finished dying our eggs, I played with the dye and some of my merino fiber. Here is a picture of the results.
My oldest daughter and I had dyed with Kool Aide and the results were more muted. Perhaps if we had used more packets, It would have been more vivid. My favorites are the orange/yellow/red colorway and the purple/denim color ways. I am in the process of buying up all of the discounted boxes of dye I can find.
I have also finished the Wallaby for my youngest daughter. I made her a size four thinking that would give her some room for growth. This is definitely one of those cases where you need to measure your child before making them something. Her hip to underarm measurement is a good 10 inches! According to the pattern that is the length you would use for the size 6. My daughter is 2 1/2. She will be 3 at the end of June! I knew she was big, but this has shocked me!