Well, it is official! Holiday knitting is FINALLY finished. With barely enough time to mail it off. This last hat for my niece was almost my undoing. I knit it and finished it, and blocked it and it was too big for me!!!! I committed that classic error. I assumed I knew what gauge I was knitting at instead of taking the time to actually check. If you can imagine the motif in the picture with 5 rows of white between instead of only one, then that is what mach 1 looked like! It was really cute, and really big. So I started over and re knit it to the actual correct gauge! Then, I had taken about 5 rows out of the crown and tried it on my kids and decided that those 5 rows really made a big difference. Back to pulling out the crown, and re-knitting it with the 5 extra rows. I am still not sure it is quite right, but I am calling it done, it needs to get into the mail. Then came the mits. I really wanted to create something cute that had some color work, but was not as elaborate as the maze mittens. So I adapted the motif to be more of a border and knit from the cuff up. (for some unknown reason, knitting from the top down was eluding me last weekend) They turned out really cute, and I have no real idea what I did because I was improvising as I went along.
Both the hat and mits are knit out of my hand spun. The white is Alpaca and the pink is from A Verb To Keep You Warm’s fiber club.